To return to view all Clocks click HERE
Clockmaker/By : Richard Lear-Pinhey of Plymouth Dock (Devon).
Duration: 8 Day.
Circa : 1775.
Height : 86 inches.
Mahogany with well - figured trunk door.
Domed broken arch hood with reeded brass capped pillars, repeated at rear of hood.
Side windows to hood for movement observation purposes.
Long trunk door with dome top.
Bracket feet to base.
Width at widest point 20" (hood)
12" x 17" silvered brass dial with well engraved dial centre.
Automata in arch of well painted rocking ship against a background of two other ships at sea.
Well engraved silvered dial centre with large calendar half moon aperture.
Rococo head spandrels Matching steel hour / minute and seconds hands.
The maker's name is engraved on the dial and Plymouth Dock is now known as Devonport.
There are two listings relating to the maker relating to the same man:
Richard Lear of Plymouth Dock, working c1770
Richard Lear - Pinhey of Plymouth Dock, working 1771 - 1815
The name change is unexplained but it appears to have been brought about as a result of a family relationship with Mary Pinhey as that is when the . name change came about.
Richard Lear was a witness when Mary Pinhey married clockmaker William Lancaster in November 1771 at Stoke Damerel parish church and and he was also a witness to William Lancaster's will in February 1815.
In 1813 Richard Lear - Pinhey and others registered a meeting house at 21 Chapel Street in Plymouth Dock for Independents. Several good quality clocks by this maker are known.
Guarantee : 12 months.
click image for
Prices include delivery and set - up within the UKTo receive more information please see our contact page